Thanks for setting up this forum and introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thanks for setting up this forum and introduction

Post by bld522 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:28 am

First and foremost, thanks for setting up this forum.  I hope it's successful.

I'm not currently a Blink customer.  I live in a jurisdiction that requires visual verification of alarms prior to police dispatch.  I've searched high and low for a core security system that is both affordable and meets my needs.  By "meets my needs", I mean that the ENTIRE system including my cameras is capable of being monitored by a third-party monitoring service.  I've found only one system that can do that, but at $5,000 to purchase and install their equipment and $100 per month to monitor it, I simply can't afford it.

The only other choice I have is relying on mobile guards that could take up to 30 minutes to arrive at my home to provide visual verification of an alarm.  A number of companies offer this option for either a small monthly addition to their standard monitoring fees or a flat fee . . . typically $50 per dispatch.  But having to wait up to 30 minutes for mobile guards to arrive is not a solution when the average amount of time burglars remain in a home is 8 to 12 minutes.  So even though I dislike having to base my security on the strength and availability of a cellular connection, I've pretty much settled on the notion that I'll have to monitor my own cameras and dispatch the police myself if I'm to have any chance at all of apprehending the thieves in the act.

Enter Blink cameras.

The only thing holding me back from purchasing Blinks at the moment is the lack of siren.  I need some way of scaring off the bad guys if they manage to break in.  I don't want to have to purchase a separate security system to be able to incorporate a siren.  Immedia keeps promising to release one, but I haven't seen it yet.

That's my story.

bld522

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanks for setting up this forum and introduction

Post by fareal on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Maybe the official outdoor cameras will be released around the time of the siren as well. I imagine you might need both. I've had a siren on preorder since the Kickstarter. I don't think I really need it for typical home use, not sure. Maybe I'll arm it when we are out for long periods.

fareal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bld522 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks, fareal.  I ran across one other complaint on Amazon that may be a deal-breaker.  Apparently, if Blink cameras get disconnected for some reason, they cannot be reconnected without physically disconnecting and reconnecting the base station to the router.  Some gal in Florida I believe bought some Blinks to watch a home she owned in Maine.  The cameras got disconnected and she could not reconnect them until she returned to Maine.  Needless to say, having the ability to remotely restore camera connectivity when it goes down is mandatory.  On the other hand, this problem isn't unique to Blink.  Folks with cameras from other manufacturers have reported similar issues.

My research continues . . .

bld522

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fareal on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:41 am

Or consider connecting the Blink sync module to an internet control power outlet such as Wemo or other less expensive alternatives.

Wemo
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Smart-Wi-Fi-Works-Alexa/dp/B00BB2MMNE/

Others
https://www.amazon.com/Ankuoo-Smart-Plug-Wi-Fi-White/dp/B00NAX2GVU/
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Smart-Wi-Fi-Works-Alexa/dp/B0178IC734/

I've had the Blink since the beginning and last week was the first time they had an issue that required us to manually reboot the sync module.

fareal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bld522 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:23 am

Thanks, fareal. I'll check them out.

bld522

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bld522 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:59 am

OK.  I purchased a three-camera Blink Camera kit and a TP-Link HS-100 Smart Plug for $30 to remotely power cycle the sync module if I have to.  So far, so good.  I'd like to hook up a siren to the system, but it isn't available yet and I really don't need it.  I bought a bunch of Doberman Security magnetic window/door alarms from Home Depot and installed them on practically every entry point in my home.  They're cheap and they're REALLY LOUD!  The Holy Grail for me remains a camera that can be centrally monitored by a professional monitoring service.  But even if something like that were to come to market at a price I can afford, I wouldn't give up my Blink cameras.  I'd use them as an independent layer of protection instead.

bld522

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fareal on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:54 am

Nice setup! Glad it is working well for you.

fareal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top